Siegel & Strain served as the Preservation Architect and Sustainable Design consultant for the rehabilitation and adaptive re-use of this historic building.
Originally designed in 1919 by George McDougall, state architect, as one of a series of fish hatcheries constructed by the Board of Fish and Game Commissioners. The Board was first established in 1870 as a response to the pollution of the rivers by the mining industry and the decline of fish. UC Davis has been using it as a lab and field station for their studies of water quality at Lake Tahoe since 1975.
Siegel & Strain’s work focused on identification and retention of character defining features for both interior and exterior. Significant interior finishes have been cleaned and retained. Structural reinforcing of foundation and interior trusses has been hidden within existing elements. Sources for decayed bark siding (cacocedrus decurrens) were located in Yuba City while existing stonework is to be retained and repointed.
Prime: Collaborative Design Studio
Preservation Architect / Sustainable Design Consultant: Siegel & Strain Architects