Cloyne Court was designed by campus architect John Galen Howard in 1904 as a luxury residential hotel for visiting scholars. It is a City of Berkeley Landmark (#65, 1982) and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. The Berkeley Students Cooperative Association acquired the building after World War II and now uses it as a residence hall for 150 students..
Siegel & Strain was hired to rehabilitate this 40,000 square foot, three story, brown shingle building and to ensure that it meets current seismic, life safety and accessibility standards. The project also includes the rehabilitation of ground floor historic spaces, substantial use of green materials and improved energy performance for the overall building.