The Girls Inc. project rehabilitated an historic downtown Oakland office building converting it to an academic skill building, counseling and enrichment activity center for underserved girls in Alameda County. The building was originally designed in 1919 by prominent local architect William A. Knowles, Jr. It served as headquarters for the East Bay Water Company, later East Bay Municipal Utilities District, until the 1960s. It is listed on the National Register of Historic places as a contributing feature in the Downtown Oakland Historic District.
Siegel & Strain served as preservation architects and architectural conservator for the project. We assisted the prime architects with building evaluation, determination of character-defining features and building documentation for submission to the Federal Historic Preservation Certification program thereby securing substantial tax credits for the building’s owners.
Our architectural conservator worked closely with the project team and contractors to restore the original terra cotta façade. N. Clark & Sons of Alameda originally supplied the terra cotta tile, gothic inspired columns and cornice. Gladding, McBean of Lincoln recreated tile that replaced the damaged pieces.
Prime Architect: Anne Phillips Architecture
Preservation Architect / Architectural Conservator: Siegel & Strain Architects
Preservation Architect / Architectural Conservator to Anne Phillips Architecture